Friday, March 5, 2010

Harry Was Right

If you've ever seen when Harry Met Sally, you know that a main conversation that runs through it is that Men and women can't be friends, the sex always gets in the way. Now many of you are thinking that's not true, but I agree with it and this is why: because the sex always gets in the way.

Now I don't mean real sex, obviously if you're a christian and single you should be abstaining at the moment. But just because they take the truth to the extreme, doesn't make it any less true. Without fail, if you have someone of the opposite sex as a best friend, at some point or another one of you will fall for the other, or maybe both of you will, but that doesn't mean it's right.

I'm sure you're asking yourself right now "Well how am I supposed to meet people?"

Well, let's back up a little.

I'm not saying that you can't have friends that are the opposite sex, because it would become impossible to meet anyone. What I am saying is that you should never make someone of opposite sex one of your closest friends, unless you both have the understanding that this may become more than friends, otherwise it's doomed to fail.

Now I'm sure your saying "no it won't."

But it will and this is why: Because one day one or both of you will want to get married. And that marriage will make it impossible for you to remain best friends. When you get married, you put the other person ahead of any other, even yourself.

If you're still going to your best friend- who is the same sex as your spouse- with all the problems of your marriage, or life, or anything else that should be worked out with a spouse, your opening yourself up to at the least an emotional affair, if not more.

For me, I've had many friendship where it starts out with the understanding that we will only ever be "just friends" but then the Guy starts getting other ideas, and that just means I have to break up the friendship because well "the sex got in the way."

I also have a girlfriend who's best friend is a guy, and for now it works. Their both single, and they've been through a lot together, including each of them liking the other at opposite moments. It's a complected situation, one that I'm not sure anyone fully understands, but the only reason that in this case it's alright is that they both have talked about the fact that one day, this relationship as they know it will end, because they will have a spouse that has to come first.

Me, I just don't care to put myself in that situation. And maybe that's you as well. The big thing is that you have to know "the sex will always get in the way." Whether it's now or later, you will have to pick your spouse over everyone that is the same sex as them. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment